The Crows Nest

The Student News Site of Brazoswood High School

The Crows Nest

The Crows Nest

One Final Milestone

Senior prom proves to shine as a final celebration before seniors move on from Brazoswood
Fraizer Beltran

On Saturday, April 20th, the DOW Academic Center in Clute shimmered with elegance as high school students gathered for their annual prom. This year’s theme, Masquerade, set the stage for a night of mystery and enchantment.
Among the highlights of the evening was the crowning of the Prom King and Queen. Brandon Gonzales, who had previously clinched the title of Homecoming King earlier in the school year, added another jewel to his crown as he was named Prom King.
“I loved Prom way more than Homecoming, I don’t know why maybe because it’s like senior Prom or even just like the idea of it, but I really liked Prom,” Gonzales said.
While many students showed up just long enough to say they went to prom, many students like Gonzales enjoyed the time outside of school with their friends for one of the last big senior events they would partake in.
“Prom was so much fun, a lot of good food there. I was a little late I’m gonna be honest but being there was so cool. It was actually my first Prom to go to,” Gonzales said.
Claire Boyce, also in her inaugural Prom appearance, was crowned Prom Queen, a delightful surprise for the first-time attendee.
“For my first time at Prom, I really wasn’t expecting to win Prom Queen but it was really nice,” Boyce said.
Competing for the title of Prom Queen against other fellow nominees was nerve-wracking.
“Well passing things out at lunch and just in general was difficult cause a lot of people don’t want anything. I handed out fruit snacks, stickers, and some other miscellaneous things, so having to campaign was not my thing,” Boyce said.
While the evening was filled with laughter and dancing, some students noted a slight departure from the previous year’s ambiance. Senior Trace Whitley noticed a difference in the overall feel of prom this year versus his experience during his junior prom.
“The atmosphere, with music all around, and the overall vibe of last year’s prom seemed to create a feeling that just felt more ‘promy’ than this year’s,” Whitley said. “Prom was still cool, yes we danced a lot, I saw quite a few friends there, and I walked around the whole time getting to know how they thought it was. My all-time favorite song to dance to was the Macarena.”
Despite any variance in atmosphere, the magic of Prom remained palpable throughout the night as students reveled in the enchanting Masquerade theme. As the event came to a close, memories were made and bonds were strengthened, marking yet another unforgettable chapter in the lives of these high schoolers.
“Everyone always talks about senior prom and how it’s something that we look forward to since freshman year,” senior Ava Garza said. “I finally get now that this was our last big event before graduation so it was fun to have one last big event before we graduate, but it also made the finality of senior year more real.”